History

     The Mercer Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is a legally organized subdivision of the State of Ohio, and is responsible for conserving soil, water, and natural resources in Mercer County.  The district was formed by a referendum petition and was chartered on September 20, 1944 by L. J. Menchoffer, John Post, Albert Pax, August Dirksen, and John Huwer.  Mercer was the 31st district in the state of Ohio to be organized.  As a unit of state government, the district operates under the provision of Chapter 1515 of the Ohio Revised Code.

     Funding for the District is provided by local and state government.  The Mercer County Commissioners provide a portion of funding paid out of the county's general fund.  The Ohio Department of Natural Resources-Division of Soil and Water Resources matches this contribution with money allocated through the state budget.

    The District is managed and directed by a five-member Board of Supervisors, each is elected to serve a three-year term of office.  Supervisors donate their time to the district to promote conservation activities.  The responsibilities of the supervisors include administering the district program, coordinating the help of Government agencies, and establishing the policies and priorities concerning the work to be accomplished in conservation education and technical assistance on the land.  The Mercer SWCD staff and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) staff work together to serve the people of Mercer County.  The Board of Supervisors and staff invites you to join the conservation efforts and implement sound conservation programs in Mercer County.

 

The Mercer SWCD prohibits discrimination in any of its programs on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, and marital or familial status.